Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Reptile Project - Day 1

Today was the initial terrarium setup.  Spent some time at the pet store choosing the items needed for my Dragon - large tank, heat and UVB lighting, reptile carpet, hiding cave, basking perch, water/food bowls, etc.  

I also worked out the one aspect that I hadn't yet figured out - the crickets.  I bought a small "cricket keeper" that I can take to the pet store and have filled with a weekly supply.  Its just a small ventilated plastic case, with 2 black tubes that slide inside.  The crickets, after being loaded into the case by the store employees, will gravitate to the black tubes.  Then you just take out one of the tubes, shake it into the reptile cage, and your done!  Hopefully it will work as advertised. 

Brought everything home and cleaned/disinfected all the pieces.  Instead of buying a small terrarium, then buying another larger one when the Dragon starts to grow, I bought a very large terrarium and used a piece of cardboard to create a smaller housing area.  Then as he grows, I'll move the cardboard. 

I set up all the lights and ran some temperature tests.  Determined that the digital hygro/thermometer didn't work, and that the UVB lamp generated way too much heat.  So tomorrow I'll make some tweaks to the setup.  

Below is the tank setup, missing only the UVB lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment