Sunday, October 10, 2010

Tales from the Sewing Room

Kinda sounds like a mystery novel or something.  Actually, I thought I would introduce you, my reader, to the place where I go to create, play, hide, or just think - my sewing room. 

This room is a thing of beauty.  Large, maybe 20x20, with lots of natural light from windows and skylites.  Hardwood floors allow me to scoot around as I need to from the sewing station, to the cutting table, the large worktable where I can lay out a full sized quilt, to the entertainment center with the flatscreen LCD TV and the Playstation 3.  Around the room are built in cabinets to store all the supplies for my various hobbies, and on the walls are shelves filled with all the 'treasures' I've collected over the years.

Okay - let's be honest ... this is the sewing room of my dreams!

The sewing room I live with today is a small bedroom, only 10x10.  I claimed this bedroom the day we moved into this house in the fall of 2000.  I have filled this tiny space with all the items mentioned above .... except the large worktable.  As you can see in the photo below, there's a LOT crammed in here!  There's even a blanket on the floor for the times that my dog Buddy joins me.




What you don't see to the right is a window, small cutting table with book storage, and behind me in the photo is a closet filled with supplies and my small "design wall" for quilt projects.  

I really love this space.  I spend a lot of time here on the weekends.  Either sewing, playing video games, or working on a myriad of craft projects.

Today I decided to work on something I've been thinking about for a while.  Five years ago I created this wallhanging - which I call 'South Pacific'.  It was inspired by our honeymoon trip to Tahiti in 2000.


Since the day I finished it, I've wanted to do a companion piece.  Last year I got the idea of sea and sun - so today I completed the bulk of 'South Pacific II'.



What else happens in this room?  Well, slowly I'm trying to teach myself to make clothes.  I started with pajamas, then a robe, and last year I finished an Esmerelda costume.  Next I'll try a simple top, or maybe a pair of shorts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment