Monday, January 16, 2012

De-Motivating Run

Well, that’s a first.  I’ve had un-motivating runs, but never one that was DE-motivating. 

 

My plan this past Saturday was to run 8.5 miles.  I ate and hydrated properly the day before, and prepped as normal the morning of my run.  Off I went to the park – all’s well so far.  Put on my assortment of gear – gloves, earbuds, ear muffs – and off I went.  Not 5 minutes into the run my ear muffs start slipping and sliding.  They are the spring loaded kind that you wear so they wrap from the back of your head around your ears.   I end up F**king with them for the next 3 miles.  Finally I’d had enough and headed back to the car.  The worse the equipment problem got, the more distracted I was.  UGH!

 

My ears are extremely sensitive to cold, so this was a game killer for me.  I do believe there was loud swearing along the way … and I was irritable for several hours afterward.  Not only was I feeling pissy, I was questioning my ability to complete any long runs, ever.  I started thinking I’ve just been fooling myself.  As I said, very de-motivating run.

 

I decided to try a little retail therapy and headed to the running store for a moisture wicking ear wrap, and also found a nice Brooks running vest on the seasonal clearance rack!

 

Not one to let a bad day ruin it all, I’m headed out again tonight for a short 3 miler - then we’ll attempt the 8.5 miles again on Friday.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment