Thursday, January 12, 2012

I am a runner.

 

Never in my life did I think I would be saying that.  So how did I get here? 

 

In June 2011, I was approached by several friends to participate in a 5K “family fun run” inside the Disneyland Resort, as part of the Tinkerbell Half Marathon weekend.   Well, I hemmed and hawed and debated … then finally registered.   We were going to walk the 5K, just fast enough to stay within the time limits, and participate as volunteers for the half-marathon event.   Sounds like fun!

 

The backstory here (and the reason I hemmed and hawed) is I had a real mental block on anything to do with running.  When I was a member of the US Marine Corps, running was part of the job.  You had to take a physical fitness test every year, and there were run times that were expected.  The faster you ran, the higher your physical fitness test (PFT) score.  The higher your PFT score, the higher your composite score as a Marine.  This composite score is used for promotions.  So basically, your job and paycheck depended on running.  That took any fun out of it that I might have found.

 

Fast forward to 2011 … after 20+ years of NOT running.  In August I went on a Saturday morning ‘fast-walk’ to see how I would do.  Well, my fast walk hurt!  My shins were killing me.  Out of frustration, I broke into a slow jog.  The pain went away immediately, and I continued to jog for a minute or two.  More walking and small jog intervals until I got home.  Of the 3 miles that I recorded that day, maybe ½ mile was jogging.  I started to slowly increase the jog intervals until I’d reached a 50/50 split with walking.  Then I discovered Jeff Galloway and his Run-Walk-Run method.  After some brief research, I knew this was the running method for me.  The more I’ve worked at it, the more I’ve enjoyed the results.  I’ve been following his program ever since and my last long run was 7 miles, with a per-mile pace of just over 11 minutes! 

 

I’ve enjoyed the process, and the runs, so much that I’ve participated in three 5K races now, and registered for the Disneyland Half-Marathon in September.  

 

While the Half-Marathon is certainly my distance goal, the race that means the most to me is the Marine Corps Marathon 10K.  What better race could there be for this patriotic veteran than through the streets of our nation’s capital, with Marines in uniform cheering you on.  And the finish line?  The Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, VA.  I’m already filled with emotion – I’m sure I’ll be a running blubbering fool that day.   J

 

I have many races that I’m thinking about.  I’d like to try a 10K this March, then perhaps a Half in May or June, just to see if I can do it prior to the Disneyland Half. 

 

I don’t see an end to this.  I’ve already achieved health benefits and physical conditioning, which I wouldn’t otherwise.  And there is a special satisfaction that comes when you cross that finish line!

 

Yes, I AM a runner!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment