Friday, August 27, 2010

Finally Friday! and now for part II of Travel Thursday

Let's see, where did we leave off?  Oh yea, we were headed down the Cape.  Stopped at Boulders Beach to visit the penguins.

Before I go further, I wanted to share a few more pictures from our lion encounter.   The first is the big male and the female.  They seemed to like this little tree and I've got quite a few good shots of them here.


The next couple of pictures are from the lion kill sequence that I shot.  They don't require a lot of explanation, and what I found really interesting was that after the female caught the animal, the big male approached and she turned it over to him to complete 'the kill'.  He then sauntered off to dine.  The whole event took less than 5 minutes, and I think the entire jeep was holding their breath!


Okay, enough of lions - back to the Cape.  As I mentioned yesterday, we visited with the penguins.  We also saw baboons on the side of the road, and ostrich on the beach!



After the trip down the Cape, we headed back into Cape Town.  Spent some time on the waterfront, enjoying lunch in an outdoor cafe.  Very nice city.  Then back to Johannesburg, and my return trip to the states. 

By the way - it took 42 hours from the time I left Joburg, to the time I arrived home in Eastern Washington.  Flew from Johannesburg to Dubai, then on to New York, Salt Lake City, and finally home.  Certainly a trip I would take again, but next time I'm staying longer than a week!

1 comment: