Friday, July 2, 2010

Getting Older / Physical Fitness

Yes, it happens to us all – age.  When you’re young, you can’t wait to ‘grow up’.  In your 20’s and 30’s, life is grand!  FORTY and FIFTY are so far away, and seem so OLD!  



I’ll be 50 in 2 years, and I can honestly say my 40’s have been the best time of my life!  There are some negatives to getting older, though, and maybe the most frustrating for me have been the physical changes. 



I was a fat teenager and a fatter young adult.  It wasn’t until I joined the military that I really got into shape.  I’ve always had a ‘sturdy’ bone structure and good muscle mass (just covered in fat for so many years).  I was able to keep in fairly good shape through most of my 20’s and 30’s – even after the birth of my son. 



In the last few years, however, it’s been more difficult to maintain a steady weight and muscle tone.  The last 9 months even worse, as my dog has aged and we no longer walk the mile every night that we used to.   I decided it was time to take control, so I joined a gym.  There is a new strip mall very close to house, mostly vacant so far, but there is a gym.  Nothing fancy – treadmills, elliptical, free weights, weight machines, etc. 



I stop on my way home almost every night now.  While I haven’t lost much weight, I have noticed some real changes in my physical condition.  Even better than that, I don’t think twice about stopping!  I look forward to the hour that I spend in there, and enjoy going on the weekends as well.



Bottom line for me?   I don’t like that it takes twice as much effort to maintain my weight and conditioning, but I’m really glad that I am making that effort. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment