Sunday, July 25, 2010

Whew! Three down, 13 to go - but why?

It's Sunday afternoon and I just completed my last exam for the summer class I was taking - Management Information Systems.  Of the 3 classes I've taken, since going back to school last summer, this was certainly the easiest. 

Somebody asked me why I went back to school at the young age of *nearly* 48.  Well, that's a good question.  I certainly don't need the degree in my current job.  I'm already a senior analyst in my department, and I have no desire to go into management (at least not here).  While I gain tidbits of knowledge that might help in my job, there's really no benefit there. 

So, why?  I have always enjoyed learning.  Whether it's a new hobby, a new technique in one of my existing hobbies, or maybe an interest in a place or thing, I'm always trying to add to my vast supply of useless information.   :)

I think it really came down to that enjoyment of learning, coupled with the opportunity to have someone else pay the bill!  One of the benefits in my line of work is education reimbursement.  You get a C or better, they will reimburse your tuition.  I was able to finish my AA degree using the same benefit.   So, why not??

No comments:

Post a Comment