Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cricket Update

Well, the bulk shipment didn’t go so well this first time out.  

I called on the same day I placed the order and had them hold the shipment because we were having an unexpected cold snap.  Somehow, someone at the cricket supplier thought that the weather broke a bit and they shipped the crickets on Monday, without any confirmation with me.   The weather did get warmer, but only for a day.  When I got home last night, after UPS had delivered the package, about 2/3 of the crickets were dead.  

I e:mailed them last night, and called again this morning.   They checked and agreed that the order should NOT have been sent.  They will wait for the weather to break again and send another shipment, no additional charge to me.  

Fortunately, there were about 100-150 crickets that survived.  I’ve put them in my DIY cricket container, with food and ‘water’.  There should be enough to get through the next week or so.  

This morning I gave Hiss 12 crickets for breakfast – double what he is used to getting from me.  He ate every single one and looked fat and happy!

Oh, by the way, he shed the rest of his body skin yesterday.  When I got home last night, there were little pieces of skin everywhere!  Fortunately his coloring hasn’t changed much with this first shed.  I’m hoping that some of his orange coloring will stay into adulthood.

 

2 comments:

  1. Catching up on your new guy. Fun to read about him and what is involved in his care! So do you have to find a dragon sitter when you travel now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yea. :) I'll just have to teach both my husband and son.

    If my mom has knee replacement next month, I promised I'd come over to Idaho for a week and help out. I might get a portable terrarium and take him with me.

    ReplyDelete