Sunday, January 23, 2011

Doing Okay

I went to a Reptile Expo in Portland yesterday.  Wasn't looking to buy anything, but did want to see dragons of varying ages, and wanted to discuss some concerns I had with people who know about such things.

First, the Expo itself.  I was expecting an abundance of tattoo's and piercings.  Is that terrible that I thought that?  Something about the pet snake culture that leads me to that image.  Turned out, as these things almost always do, that it wasn't as 'odd' as I'd imagined.  Well, except for the large woman walking around with a snake draped on her shoulders.

What was unexpected was the number of snakes that were for sale.  Snakes by far outnumbered any other type of reptile.  Next behind snakes were crested gecko's.  Bearded Dragons were hard to find.  While it's an easy first reptile, it's not a big deal for most experienced reptile owners. 

There were enough dragons of different ages/sizes for me to be able to compare my little guy.  I found a really personable vendor who talked to me about some of my concerns.  Turns out we are doing just fine, and maybe better than a lot of new owners because I have done so much research.

I came away from the expo feeling good about how I'm raising my little Hiss.

Here's a few pictures to show the change in his size over the past 5 weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment