Friday, January 21, 2011

A second shed, and a big scare!

Yes, I had a bit of a scare today.  I walked into Hiss's room this afternoon, and something seemed wrong.  For some reason, he looked agitated, irritated ...

He was opening and closing his mouth rapidly, and puffing out his throat.  At first I thought maybe I had startled him, and he was exhibiting defensive behavior.  So I started talking to him.  That didn't make a difference. 

Then his body started to expand, like it was being filled with air.  This is when I came close to 'pet panic'.  His body deflated, but he still seemed upset.  Then the freakiest thing happened.  He closed his eyes, and his head started to expand.  His eyes bulged and he looked like he was a balloon! 

A few minutes later he started rubbing his head on his basking tree.  Then it happened - a big piece of skin came loose.  His neck, chin, and top of his head was shedding.

I missed the shedding process last time.  Came home and the skin was all over the terrarium.  Now that I've seen what he goes through, I think I'd like to miss the next shed.  Freaky!!





Couple of weeks ago I saw an item advertised called a reptile hammock.  I looked for pictures of one, and when I saw how it was used, I decided to make my own.  Here is Hiss enjoying his hammock.




2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I would have freaked out had I observed the little guy puffing up!

    I must say he does look mighty comfy on his hammock though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to shake the image of his big bulging eyes and head, and that inflated body. So very strange ...

    ReplyDelete