Sunday, September 5, 2010

Random Sunday

Not sure why this popped into my head ... probably the documentary I was watching on Marine Corps bootcamp.  

3 events that truly scared me
  • The "swim" tests and qualification during Marine Corps bootcamp in Parris Island.  I've never really talked about this, but that day in the pool affected me for over 20 years.  From the added weight of wet camouflage and other gear, to the constant yelling of the drill instructors, I had a moment of panic and started to go under. 
  • The first time that I lost a relative.  I'll never forget the phone call when my grandmother died.  My parents left right away, and I was home to watch over my brother.  I had never experienced a family loss, and it scared me so bad I couldn't sleep.
  • Getting caught in the current.  Last year we went for a late season dive at a new spot in Puget Sound.  We were going to dive around some old pilings, which required a relatively short swim from shore.  We both started out, but Jim - being much stronger than me - pulled ahead.  The current was worse than we thought, and I found myself struggling.  Next thing I knew, Jim was at the pilings, and I was drifting away - caught in the current. 

How about you?  Have you ever been truly scared?  Scared to the point of uncontrolled shaking?

No comments:

Post a Comment