Thursday, September 2, 2010

Travel Thursday - let's start with "A"

I'm trying a new twist on Travel Thursday.  I'll work my way through the alphabet, with my top 10 places I've been, or want to go.  This week we'll begin ... in the beginning!

Austin, Texas
I don’t know much about Austin, other than people seem to really love it there. And I hear the BBQ is pretty darn good.

Arlington, Virginia
Besides being next door to our nation’s Capital, Arlington is home to so many great attractions. From the somber Arlington National Cemetery to the Marine Corps War Memorial, The Pentagon, and Theodore Roosevelt Island Park.  Anytime I’m in the area, I always pay a visit to the Marine Corps Memorial. (as a Marine, this is a must-do!)



Alaska
Alaska has been on my must-see list for most of my life. Why I haven’t made the trip is beyond me. So many things I want to experience - Denali, moose, bear catching salmon, eagles, caribou, and the great vast wonder that is Alaska.

Australia
There is something exotic about Australia. I don’t know if it’s the language, or the fact that it’s so far away – but it has always intrigued me. The Sydney Opera House is gorgeous, and the thought of diving the Great Barrier Reef is exciting. I’d really love to see a kangaroo or a koala.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
There isn’t much about Albuquerque that I don’t like. I spent most of my childhood summers here (or in nearby Santé Fe), so I have a real affection for the town. The culture is an incredible mix of Anglo, Latino, Native American, and Hispanic. From restaurants to museums to craft fairs, that cultural mix brings a unique flair to the city. One of the biggest events is the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta every October. From the daily ascent of 500+ balloons, to the Night Glow and Special Shapes Rodeo – this is a must-see! If you can arrive a few days before, or stay a few days after, you can enjoy a hot-air balloon ride for a little lower price. I highly recommend a balloon ride! I’m not real fond of heights, but this is such an incredible experience! I don’t think I’ve found anything more peaceful than floating along in a hot air balloon. Other than the gas burner, there isn’t a single sound up there … and the views!!






Astoria, Oregon
This is one of my favorite stops when visiting the Oregon Coast. It isn’t the tourist destination that Seaside or Cannon Beach is. It’s smaller, less developed, and a little quirky. But you can find some really neat little shops, and there are some great seafood restaurants. Astoria’s location is unique from other Oregon coastal towns – it sits on both the Pacific Ocean, and the Columbia River. If you drive up to the Astoria Column, you get a great view of both.



Anaheim, California
This should be pretty obvious. Anaheim is home to one of my favorite places – Disneyland!



Animal Kingdom Park, Walt Disney World
Ok, it’s not a city or country, but it is a great place. In fact, of all the Disney parks in the US, this is one of my favorites. I love the relaxed feel of this park. I can spend an entire day here and not go on a single attraction - from the nature trails, to the Tree of Life, to the incredible detail in the architecture.



Arkansas
Okay, I don’t actually visit Arkansas. But it should be mentioned as my father’s parents were both from Arkansas – Paragould to be exact. Gotta mention the southern roots if you got ‘em!

Aiken, South Carolina
While not a place I would go out of my way to visit, I was truly impressed with the hospitality in Aiken. I spent almost a month here on a work assignment. Aiken is just across the border from Augusta, GA. A couple of hours to the east are Charleston and Hilton Head, north is Greenville, and southwest is Atlanta. Aiken is horse country - thoroughbred races and the steeplechase are a BIG deal!




1 comment:

  1. Great list! I have visited both Austin and Albuquerque on work trips and really enjoyed them for their art and hospitality - the food is pretty good too! I remember a place in Austin called the "Hula Hut" it was Tex-mex/BBQ/Hawaiian interesting and tasty. I wish I had more time available to explore the music scene there.

    As a family I think Animal Kingdom is also a favorite -and I think the park I would pick to visit if I was solo and had a single day.

    ReplyDelete